In Episode 92 of the Wandering But Not Lost Podcast, co-hosts Matt Emerson and Jan O’Brien conclude their month-long look at creating your 2020 vision for Business Planning – Today, measuring and tracking your results. You can’t improve what you don’t measure. Once you have your business plan in place, it is critical to review it and make necessary course corrections. In Wandering Zen, Matt takes us up to the Bay Area to explore The Winchester Mystery House.
WBNL 52: Your Success Action Plan
Create Your Business Action Plan
Measure and Track Your Results
You can’t improve what you don’t measure. An excellent tracking system will allow you to make necessary course corrections and adjustments as well as gauge your overall success. Sign up for our FREE, basic plan to download these tools to track and measure your performance and results:
- Income and Expenses Form
- Business Budget
- Personal /Home Budget
- Commission/Closing Tracking Form
SECRET to SUCCESS: Create Your Daily Action Plan and Just Do It!
Once you have your business plan in place, it is critical to review it and make necessary course corrections at least quarterly. On a monthly basis, make sure to use a performance dashboard or a suitable tracking form to record your actual results and compare them to your plan or goal.
Create Your customized Success Action Plan
Download this Word doc and customize it with your goals and your daily, weekly, monthly action items/tactics to reach your goals.
From your business plan, you can create your daily, weekly, monthly ACTION PLAN. This plan will outline the income-producing activities and other tasks you are committed to in order to achieve your desired outcomes. Review and stick to your Action Plan DAILY!
- Write your Action Plan on index cards – and keep one with you
- Take a picture of your Action Plan and Save as wallpaper or screensaver
- Put one in front of your day planner
- Post it in your workspace
- Tape it to your bathroom mirror and review it daily
- Review and record your results daily also
A basic mantra or affirmation for your consideration and real estate success could simply be: “I make one qualified appointment daily!”
Create an Action Plan that works for you – it may consist of some of the following activities:
Make ______ contacts daily
Send ______ personal notes weekly
Add _______ people to your database weekly or monthly
Contact _____ FSBOs weekly
Contact ______ Expireds weekly
Hold ______ effective open houses weekly/ monthly
Mail or email to your SOI/Past clients valuable market information monthly
Mail or email to your designated farm of ______ properties monthly
Door knock/ door drop _________ houses monthly
Take ____ past client to lunch monthly
Network with ____ business to business referrals monthly
Hand out 5-10 business cards, 5 days/week and actively ask for business or for permission to add them to your database
Free Motivational & Success Classics as eBook downloads:
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
- Acres of Diamonds by Russell Conwell
Missed the first 2 Episodes of this Series – Check them out now!
- Episode 89 – YTD Business Review
- Episode 90 – Goal Writing and Affirmations
- Episode 91 – Create Your Business Action Plan
OCTOBER is Business Planning Month!
WBNL Coaching and Home Connect America are offering their complete Real Estate Business Planning and Goal Setting Video Course and all supporting downloads for FREE!
3 Steps to a Powerful Real Estate Business Plan
Learn and implement the three steps to real estate agent goal setting and business planning.
- Write your goals and desired outcomes
- Create a written business action plan
- Measure and track your activities and results
Just visit this page to register for the FREEE course and to access all the Business Plan templates: http://joinhomeconnectamerica.com/blog/
Wandering Zen – 13 Eerie Facts About the Winchester Mystery House
The next time you find yourself in the Bay Area make sure that you add the Winchester Mystery House to your wandering to-dos. This incredible victorian mansion and peaceful gardens are a living example of the expression, “You can’t judge a book by it’s cover”. Inside the walls you’ll find literally hundreds of tales about how and why Sarah Winchester was compelled to build on this property for 38 years. Sarah was the wife and heir to the Winchester firearms fortune. After the death of her husband she sought advice from a medium who, as the story goes, contacted her departed husband who sent a message from the afterlife. Sarah was to use the fortune to build a home for the spirits of those who had fallen victim to Winchester rifles, lest she be haunted by them for the rest of her life. Fact or fiction, the stories that surround Sarah and her mystery house are intriguing. As we approach another all hallow’s eve, let’s take a peek behind the doors and find 13 eerie facts about the Winchester Mystery House…
- If you are a numbers fan, then get ready! The Winchester Mystery House has 40 bedrooms, 40 staircases, 13 bathrooms, 6 kitchens, 2,000 doors, 10,000 window panes, 52 skylights, 47 fireplaces, three elevators, and two basements
- If there are 47 fireplaces in the house, you’d think that there’d be 47 chimneys right? Wrong. There are only 17
- Mrs. Winchester holds the Guinness World Record for the longest continuous house construction – 38 years! The only time work slowed down was after the 1906 Earthquake. Prior to that event the house had topped out at 7 stories, however the earthquake took care of a few of those and they were never rebuilt
- There was never an official room count, however, the general consensus has the 24,000 square foot mansion with a modest 160 rooms, the house Sarah Winchester originally bought was just an eight-room farmhouse
- Sarah was the sole architect and placed many bizarre requests on her building crew, including the building of trap doors, secret passages, a skylight in the floor, spider web windows, and staircases that led to nowhere. There are also doors that open to blank walls, and the famous second floor door that opens out to the garden below. Some of the rooms had windows and balconies located inside, instead of outside. Other rooms were created to look like boxes inside of other boxes, with smaller rooms built inside bigger rooms
- Sarah Winchester is also known for her innovations. Some historians say Winchester was the first person to use wool for wall insulation, and that she created indoor cranks to open windows
- In total, Sarah spent $5.5 million on the house. After she died in 1922, the house was valued at just $5,000 and was sold at an auction to Thomas Barnett for $135,531.50
- In 1975, workers discovered a new room inside the house with a lock on the door. It contained two chairs and an early 1900 phonograph speaker. The theory is that Sarah may have forgotten about the room and built around it
- There is only one known photo of the widow Winchester. Though she was reclusive, she was never alone. She had 18 servants, 18 gardeners, and the ever-present construction team working on the grounds. Every morning, Sarah met with the foreman to discuss the always-evolving building plans. And it’s said that each night, she visited the Séance Room to speak with the spirits, who weighed in on plans for the house’s unusual design
- She held séances every night at midnight so that she could receive the next day’s building instructions from the ghosts. It is said that Mrs. Winchester was the only person who held a key to her “séance room,” which featured one entrance and three exits
- The lady of the manor slept in a different bedroom every night, never repeating rooms two nights in a row
- Harry Houdini visited the mansion to attend a seance on Halloween night in 1924. His mission was to try and debunk the myth that there were ghosts in the house. He failed but just may have been the person that gave the home its now permanent moniker – the Mystery House
- Not surprisingly, Sarah Winchester had an obsession with the number 13. Several of the stairways have 13 steps, many of the ceilings have 13 panels, 13 lights in the chandelier, 13 blue and amber stones in a special window she designed, 13 hooks in the seance room for the 13 robes Sarah wore while contacting the spirits, 13 overflow drain holes in the sink in the Hall of Fires, 13 bathrooms, with 13 windows in the 13th bathroom (but there was only one shower in the whole house), and 13 parts to her will, which she signed 13 times
More on the Mansion
- The Winchester Mystery House is located at 525 S Winchester Blvd, San Jose, CA 95128.
- The official website
- About the tours
- Hours, parking, & directions
- More on their yearly Halloween offering – Unhinged
In early February 2018, the movie Winchester was released in theaters. The movie stars Academy Award-winning actress Helen Mirren, who portrays Sarah Winchester in this supernatural thriller. The movie explains the life of Mrs. Winchester and her obsession with endless construction on her now-famous mansion. The movie opened to $9.3 million at the US box office, and has grossed nearly $46 million as of this writing. If you missed it in theaters, it’s currently available to stream on various platforms. Check out the official trailer below: